Ines Mariel

Thursday, April 5, 2012

I know it has been a while since I last posted anything, and truth is I am not sorry at all. Not one bit. Well maybe just a tad guilty since I did promise myself that I would at least post something weekly or if not worse, fortnightly. Anyways the wait is over, as yours truly is here to once again lash out her own personal views about everything and anything you could pretty much live without knowing. Nontheless, for those of you who do come here looking forward to some of my pointless rants, I should warn you, this is not one of them.

As a matter of fact it is somewhat a serious matter I like to bring forward just because I feel so passionately about. How passionate you may ask? Well for starters this is an impromptu post. Initially I was just going to post a few pictures from Izham's birthday dinner, but since I have the free time, I will just sit down and get typing.

So about two weeks back as part of the religion class that I am taking, we had to join the community service. Just to make it more controversial and at the risk of making me sound like the insensitive spoilt arrogant bitch that most people make me to be, here is what I honestly think about it :
 It is a waste of my Sunday afternoon.
I could stare blankly into the four walls of my dingy apartment the whole day and still feel like I accomplished something and if it wasn't for the 20% that goes into my carry marks, I wouldn't have even wake up if I knew what the day was going to be like.

Before all of you start collecting stones to throw at me, here me out, and then tell me that you disagree with me. If you have a valid argument, then I will gladly admit I am wrong and STFU for once. But really, I thought this through and through, and I am standing by it.

First of all let me ask you how is it organizing a sports event serving my community, or to be more precise, helping in any way the orphans? And that isn't even the thing that I am going to bitch about. What I don't understand is why am I spending my whole afternoon cleaning up their house? How is this helping them because the way I see it, all I am doing is their chores. They have people coming each weekend doing the same thing we are doing, and anyone who is anyone (especially those who were there) can tell you that without a doubt, by the end of the day, the house is still going to end up looking like it was or at least I'll give it a week until the next group of idiots come and clean it for them.

 I get it, these are kids who do not have parents, and I feel for them, I honestly do. In fact I admire them, because I can't imagine how I would turn out if I was in their shoes and frankly they did make me realize that I do have it good because no matter how much I complain I am still very much bless with what I have, that I won't doubt, but that is not an excuse to live in the way they were living. I am a firm subscriber to the phrase "give a man a fish, you have fed him for today, teach a man to fish and you have fed him for a lifetime"and what these kids are in dire need of is education and I am not talking academically. Instead of having people come over with their so called "help" of doing their chores, why not have these people educate them on the importance of hygiene or being neat. There is a lot to teach them at the rate they are living right now, so I don't see how playing games half of the day can outweigh teaching them vital life skills when we all know they do not have any strong figures in their lives. Sure they had fun during the games, but kids would have fun with just about anything they can lay their hands on. I could give them dirt and clay and they will make the most of it and it is because they are kids. And as a matter of fact, it is because of that same reason that they need people to educate them on what is right from wrong and at this point it's not just hygiene, I am talking manners, etiquette simple social skills that would make them ease into society because they are no different than any of us, they just need people to hold their hand and help them, and if we did that instead of playing with water balloons I wouldn't have been so bitter and post this. So there.

***

Phew. Now that that's over and done with, look, pictures. Of course it wasn't taken by the fanciest camera, but let's all be thankful instead of whining so much about not having DSLRs to make our blog   look fancier or Blackberry phones just for the sake of saying "Yehh, you could bbm me later about it". 



BITE ME

No comments: